Our annual Discovery Symposium (now in its third year) for corporate legal departments is a real labor of love for several of us here at Counsel On Call. A lot of time and consideration -- much of it with our in-house clients -- goes into the creation of the sessions, identifying the proper experts to speak and attorneys who will get the most out of the program, as well as creating an environment in which in-house attorneys are comfortable sharing their stories of trial, success and failure.
We're very excited about this year's program and our group of attendees. Some of the highlights:
- Leading off with a panel on the challenges presented by Social Media today and tomorrow. Our knowledgeable friends from FedEx and International Paper, along with Barry Willms, will lead the discussion.
- Search Validation, Intelligent Coding and Smartly Reducing Data Sets, a panel that has been in development for some time and a topic we've addressed in previous events. But this year there's certainly a heightened interest/debate about this topic due to the New York Times article on the subject that went viral, so we're looking forward to getting deep into this subject.
- Breakout sessions led by Cox Communications, Fidelity Investments and Southwest Airlines, as well as a session led by some of our Team Leaders, who will get into the finer points of creating effective, cost-saving discovery processes.
- Ten-minute 'snapshot' presentations from six of the leading in-house attorneys who oversee discovery processes at their respective companies. Each will offer at least one 'lesson learned.'
- Our annual discussions on relationships with outside counsel, pricing structures, budgeting and technology tools. We get a lot of 'stories from the field' during these sessions and there's always ample audience participation.
The format/size we've created -- small panels, 40 corporate legal departments, 65-75 attendees -- truly seems unique in the dialogue it generates and best practices it fleshes out. It should be another great event and we're excited to host everyone in Nashville again.